Tuesday, July 6, 2010

I'll Be Wrapped Around Your Finger...

...lyrics from one of my favorite Police songs and the first thing that came to my mind when this happened: Last night, Lucas was being a little punk (his father's term of endearment when Lucas is misbehaving) by battling us to get to bed -- unfortunately, that's becoming too frequent a problem, but that's not what this post is about, I digress. He ended up in our sprawling king-size bed, in his favorite position -- wedged between his parents. He loves to play with my hair when he's falling asleep or needing comfort so I pulled my hair down from the usual pony tail. As I sifted my fingers through my hair, my son looked at me (nearly nose-to-nose and no more than 3 inches apart) with his beautiful, big brown eyes and said "Mommy pretty" and I just freakin' melted! That kid slays me! And then I thought...I'll be wrapped around your finger until I take my last breath. And that's why I can't ever adequately articulate what it's like to be a parent because it's in the every day experiences of the mundane million simple "little things" that do everything from break your heart to make it soar.

No comments: