Friday, June 26, 2009

Remember the Time

"Remember the Time" is one of my all-time favorite, breezy Michael Jackson ultra pop songs. Who would have ever guessed it would frame this moment in time for me...I still remember exactly where I was when I learned the news of Elvis' death...I assume MJ's passing will lodge itself in my memory too. Truth is, you can't escape this news -- it's everywhere you turn. The event seems completely surreal, especially coming on the heals of Farrah Fawcett's death -- someone who showed so much bravado in the end and who had her own extraordinary fan base.

Personally, what's most poignant is that the first person I thought about when I heard about Jackson was my mom...she was a huge fan of both Elvis and Michael -- we were watching TV together the night we learned about Elvis, and cried as we mourned the King. I miss not being able to share with her all the good, the bad, and the sad.

The last few weeks have been filled with so much -- too much -- death. But, ironically, death always reminds us to live. Like many iconic figures before him, Michael Jackson will never be forgotten and his music will play on. May he find the peace in death he never seemed to have in life.

We will remember...

No comments: