Saturday, May 9, 2009

Jennifer's Journey

Those who read my blog will remember my friend, Jennifer, and her son, Avery, who had open heart surgery for an ASD (just like Lucas may do in a few weeks). Jennifer and her family were recently featured in this lovely video in The Missoulian. Jennifer discusses her book, Roadmap to Holland: How I Found My Way Through My Son's First Two Years with Down Syndrome -- which I devoured with much interest since I saw myself, my child, and our lives in nearly every page of her courageous journey. Uplifting, honest, confronting, comforting, and sometimes even heartbreaking, the story is about Jennifer's first two years as the mother of premature fraternal twins, Avery and Bennett -- like Lucas, Avery has Down syndrome. Lucas recently pulled it off my bookshelf -- he studied the cover for a long while as if though he knew these people...how right he was.






No comments: