Saturday, December 12, 2009

12 Days of Giving: Day 6

I'm in Nashville visiting my best friend and her family; celebrating her 40th with a party tonight. I'm welcoming a 50 degree change in temperature (those living through winter hate me for speaking such blasphemy, but seriously, heat and humidity are over-rated, especially this time of year...not festive).

Back to the giving...before I left Miami, I made a pit stop at our ghetto grocery store and was approached by two Black teenage girls who were raising money for college -- I thumbed through their official-looking stuff, asked them what they wanted to be when they grow up (doctor and lawyer), and they seemed serious enough. I gave them $5 to split and walked away hoping I was investing in their dreams and their futures (and not in drugs or booze). Living in an urban area -- not to mention being a former New Yorker and getting scammed one too many times -- that's where my mind usually goes in these situations, but I gave in the spirit of the holidays and my "12 Days of Giving" commitment...and it felt good!

No comments: