Friday, July 24, 2009

To Groucho: The King of Purr

It is with the heaviest of hearts that I share with you the news of the death of my beloved Groucho. My 18+ year old companion who lived with me in 17 different places from Miami to New York to Seattle and back to Miami again. The keeper of all my secrets, the one who loved me without condition, and who was always there...come rain or shine or sleet or snow. This photo was taken this morning.

Groucho's illness came on unexpectadly and he became suddenly blind over the last couple of weeks. This morning, on our way to the vet for a follow-up -- in my heart fearing the worst -- he suffered a stroke in my arms. By the time we got to the vet, he was nearly unresponsive. He made it so I didn't have a choice to make. The vet said he was going and we shouldn't wait...so we didn't. I held him in his blue blanket and loved on him as Tom and I shed many tears.

To the very end, he was a rock star, he took care of me, and was just the "coolest" and best kitty EVER. I miss him so much already. He died two years to the day Lola passed (my calico kitty) -- and in the same exam room, surrounded by a loving vet staff.

I feel so fortunate to have had all these years together...that I will bear the pain because I have so many wonderful memories to comfort me.

4 comments:

Ssejors said...

awww hun my heart goes out to you! I have a sweet little girl my self and I fear that this same day will inevitably come for her some day as well. But the many years WITH her makes up for the Moments of sadness without! Bless you and groucho.

Lisa said...

So sorry to hear of your loss. I bet Lucas would be good for some cuddles :).

Ani said...

I am crying at work again at Groucho's death. He was the very best cat in the world! I loved him and I love you, my friend...

CJ Field said...

I am so sorry for your loss! I'm glad he had a good life and shared so much with you!